Wike vs Fubara: Rivers crisis will consume APC – Austin Okai makes predictions

A Chieftain of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, Comrade Austin Okai has predicted that the rift between the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike and the Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara will consume the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC.

Wike and Fubara resumed their face-off recently as the Minister vowed to frustrate the governor’s re-election bid.

Fubara, who is now a member of the ruling party, however, has the backing of some APC top leaders.

But Wike urged the party stalwart to steer clear of Rivers State politics, a comment that triggered war of words between him and national leadership of the ruling party.

Speaking during an interview on TVC News on Tuesday, Okai predicted that the crisis will escalate to other parts of the country.

He said, “Wike did not just attack the APC National Secretary, he attacked the NSA and all of them. For over a decade, the crisis of ruling parties usually starts from Rivers State.

“What you see happening in Rivers will consume APC except the president summons a political courage and call the FCT Minister to order. He has declared that his political survival depends on Rivers State and we don’t know the agreement between him and the president.

“Wike is talking tough even more than the APC National Chairman, NSA and the Chief of Staff to the President. Wike is talking more than the president himself”.

FCT seals orphanage over alleged child trafficking

The Federal Capital Territory Administration has sealed Divine Hope Orphanage and Less Privileged Home in Kagini over allegations of illegal child trafficking and other child welfare violations.

 

The Director of Child Development at the FCT Women Affairs Secretariat, Idris Attah, confirmed the action in an official statement issued on Monday. He said the facility was shut to allow for a thorough investigation into its activities.

 

According to the statement, the proprietress of the orphanage, Grace Ebele Chibuzor, allegedly fled with an unspecified number of children to an unknown location without notifying the Child Development Department of the FCT Women Affairs Secretariat.

 

“This is to inform FCT residents and the general public that Divine Hope Orphanage and Less Privileged Home, Kagini, Abuja, has been sealed with effect from Monday, January 5, 2026, pending the outcome of investigations into its activities concerning children,” the statement said.

 

Preliminary investigations have linked the orphanage to a recent case involving four siblings who were allegedly taken from Ado in Nasarawa State and moved to Gwagwalada in the FCT.

The children, Joefreey Kasal Asoja, 11, David Mtsewe Asoja, 7, Joy Elsan Asoja, 4, and Joseph Asoja, 2, were reunited with their biological parents on Monday.

 

Further findings also revealed an alleged connection between the orphanage and Anderson Archibong, the Executive Secretary of the National Council of Child Rights Advocates of Nigeria, who is currently at large.

 

Authorities suspect that this relationship may have facilitated the illegal movement of children from states such as Benue and Nasarawa into Abuja for unauthorised fostering and adoption.

 

Attah urged members of the public with useful information on the whereabouts of the missing children or suspects to report immediately to the nearest security agency.

INEC resumes nationwide voter registration

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has resumed the nationwide Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise, marking the commencement of the second phase of the process.

The exercise resumed on Monday after the first phase ended on December 10, 2025. INEC had earlier opened online pre-registration on August 18, 2025, before commencing physical registration at centres nationwide on August 25, 2025.

According to the commission, 9,891,801 Nigerians began the online pre-registration during the first phase.
However, only 2,572,054 people completed their registration nationwide as of November 28, 2025. This figure comprises 1,503,832 online registrations and 1,068,222 registrations conducted physically at registration centres.

INEC explained that the interval between the two phases was used to carry out statutory activities, including the display of the voters’ register for public scrutiny.

“In line with Section 19 of the Electoral Act 2022, the voters’ register was displayed for claims and objections from December 15 to 21, 2025, at local government offices where the CVR was conducted,” the commission said.

IG deploys newly promoted DIG, 17 CPs

Inspector-General of Police, Kayode EgbetokunThe Inspector-General of Police, Olukayode Egbetokun, has approved the deployment of the newly promoted Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Gumel, alongside 17 Commissioners of Police to strategic departments, commands and formations across the country.

A statement issued on Tuesday by the Force Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, said the deployment was aimed at strengthening operational capacity, enhancing leadership effectiveness and improving public safety nationwide.

According to the statement, DIG Gumel has been posted to head the Force Intelligence Department.

It added that Aina Adesola has been deployed to the Delta State Police Command, Umar Hajedia to the Kebbi State Police Command, and Iyamah Edobor to the Bayelsa State Police Command.

“Others include CP Osagie John Agans-Irabor as Commissioner of Police, Anti-Human Trafficking Unit, FCID Annex, Lagos; CP Johnson Babalola as Commissioner of Police, Special Enquiries Bureau, FCID, Abuja; CP Adepegba Adetoye as Commissioner of Police, Marine Unit, Force Headquarters, Abuja; CP Tabitha Bako as Deputy Commandant, Police College, Kaduna; CP Umar Fagge as Deputy Commandant, Police College, Ikeja; CP Audu Bosso as Commissioner of Police, General Investigation, FCID Annex, Kaduna; CP Edwin Ogbeghagha as Commissioner of Police, Community Policing, Force Headquarters, Abuja; and CP Arikpo Ikpi as Commissioner of Police, Investment Office, Department of Logistics and Supply, Force Headquarters, Abuja,” the statement said.

Others deployed include Cyril Obiozo as Commissioner of Police, Maritime Command, Lagos; Samuel Yerima as Coordinator of Courses, Police Staff College, Jos; Alhaji Danlandi as Commissioner of Police, X-Squad, FCID Annex, Kaduna; Richard Gara as Commissioner of Police, Inspectorate, Department of Training and Development, Force Headquarters; Lasisi A. Titilola as Commissioner of Police, Railway Command, Lagos; and Obuagbaka John as Commissioner of Police, Safer Highway, Department of Operations, Force Headquarters, Abuja.

Hundeyin said the Inspector-General urged the newly deployed officers to provide result-oriented leadership, uphold professionalism and integrity, and ensure strict adherence to the rule of law.

Among them were one Assistant Inspector-General of Police elevated to the rank of Deputy Inspector-General of Police, seven Commissioners of Police promoted to Assistant Inspectors-General of Police, and 13 Deputy Commissioners of Police promoted to substantive Commissioners of Police, among others.

NiMet predicts three-day nationwide haze, sunshine

NiMet

The Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) has predicted haze and sunshine from Wednesday to Friday across the country.

‎NiMet’s weather outlook released on Tuesday in Abuja envisaged sunny and hazy skies over the northern region throughout the forecast period.

According to the agency, sunny and hazy skies are anticipated over the region throughout the forecast period.

‎It anticipated sunny skies over the southern region with patches of clouds over the region and chances of isolated thunderstorms accompanied with light rains over parts of Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, and Cross River states later in the day.

‎”For Thursday, sunny and hazy skies are expected over the northern and central regions during the forecast period while sunny skies with patches of clouds are anticipated over the southern region.

‎”Chances of thunderstorms with ‎light rains are expected over parts of Ogun, Lagos, Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom, and Cross Rivers states during the morning hours.

‎”Later in the day, thunderstorms are anticipated over parts of Ondo, Ogun, Imo, Delta, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Rivers and Bayelsa states,” it said.

According to NiMet, sunny and hazy skies are expected over the northern region on Friday during the morning hours with dust haze over the region during the afternoon and evening periods.

The agency envisaged sunny and hazy skies over the central region during the forecast period.

NiMet predicted cloudy skies over the southern region with sunny intervals over the region in the morning hours with chances of ‎isolated thunderstorms and light over parts of Anambra, Imo, Abia, Edo, Bayelsa, Delta, Cross River, Akwa ‎Ibom and Rivers states.

“Dust particles are in suspension over the North central region; the public should take necessary precaution.

NiMet advised people with asthmatic health condition and other respiratory issues to be take heed of the present weather condition.

‎”Driving under rain should be with caution. Airline operators are advised to get airport-specific weather reports (flight documentation) from NiMet for effective planning in their operations.

‎”Residents are advised to stay informed through weather updates from NiMet. Visit our website www.nimet.gov.ng,” it said.

Lagos APC begins electronic membership registration

Lagos State chapter of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has officially rolled out an electronic membership registration drive across all wards in the state.

The party announced that the e-registration initiative, which commenced on Monday, will continue until the end of January, targeting both existing members and newcomers to create a comprehensive digital membership database.

In a statement, the Lagos APC spokesperson, Seye Oladejo, said the move is aimed at strengthening internal democracy, enhancing the accuracy of party data, and preparing the party for upcoming electoral engagements.

“The adoption of digital registration will help eliminate duplication and impersonation, ensuring that every member is accurately documented and verifiable,” Oladejo said.

He added that the initiative guarantees equal recognition for long-standing and new members alike, curbing gatekeeping practices and promoting transparency across the party’s structures.

Oladejo emphasised that maintaining a credible and reliable membership registry is essential for conducting transparent congresses, primaries, and leadership selection processes.

He noted that leveraging technology will encourage participation from youth, professionals, and first-time political entrants, while improving grassroots coordination and electoral readiness.

The APC spokesman urged all members across Lagos State to engage actively in the exercise, describing it as a collective responsibility vital to the party’s growth and democratic processes.

Kwankwaso reflects on political journey with Gov Yusuf

Former Kano State Governor and leader of the Kwankwasiyya movement, Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has celebrated the Executive Governor of Kano State, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf, on the occasion of his birthday, offering prayers for wisdom and clarity in the year ahead.

Kwankwaso made this known in a post shared on his official X account on Tuesday.

In the message, the former governor reflected on his long political relationship with Governor Yusuf, describing it as a shared journey that spanned many years and different responsibilities.

“On this day, I appreciate the birthday of the Executive Governor of Kano State, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf,” Kwankwaso wrote.

He recalled that Governor Yusuf served under him in several capacities, starting as his Personal Assistant during his first term and ministerial period, later as Principal Private Assistant, then as Commissioner during his second tenure, before eventually becoming governor.

Kwankwaso noted that through these roles, Abba Yusuf contributed to the vision and programmes aimed at developing Kano State.

“I reflect on the many years of our shared political journey, during which he served in various important capacities; first as my Personal Assistant in my first term and as Minister, and then as Principal Private Assistant, and later as Commissioner during my second tenure, and now as Governor- through which he contributed to the vision and programmes we pursued for the development of Kano State.

“I pray that this new year grants him wisdom, good health, and clarity of purpose,” he added.

Sarkin Hausawa of Ibadanland dies

The leader of the Hausa community, also known as Sarkin Hausawa of Ibadanland, Alhaji Ali Ɗahiru Zungeru is dead.

DAILY POST gathered that Zungeru died Monday evening.

Our correspondent reports that Zungeru was turbaned few months ago.

He succeeded his elder brother, Ahmadu Dahiru Zungeru.

DAILY POST gathered that their father, Alhaji Dahiru Zungeru was one time the Sarkin Hausawa of Ibadanland.

A source within the Hausa community in Sabo area of Ibadan confirmed the death of the Sarkin Hausawa to DAILY POST.

The source who asked not to be named, noted that the deceased would be buried on Tuesday according to Islamic rites.

The source said, “Yes the Sarkin Hausawa of Ibadanland is dead.

“He died this evening. He will be buried in Sabo tomorrow (Tuesday)”.

Why there’s low turnout in voter registration – INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has given the reason for the low turnout in voter registration across the country.

Speaking in an interview on Arise Television monitored by DAILY POST on Monday, INEC Director of Voter Education and Publicity, Victoria Etta-Messi, said  distance getting to INEC office in some communities has discouraged registration.

Etta-Messi stated that the Commission is introducing the policy of rotation, where the machines and registration teams will be taken to the ward level.

“So, one major challenge that has been noticed and noted is the distance of local governments from the communities. That has been discouraging for the citizens to come to their local government capitals to get registered.

“And so because of that, the Commission is aware of that challenge. And so during the second phase, they are going to introduce the policy of rotation.

“So as we start today, because we’re not going to have the exercise on weekends, it’s about 75 days from today, January 5 to April 17. That will cover for the second phase.

“So the Commission is looking into having started 50 days towards the end of the exercise, would initiate the rotation policy where the machines and the registration teams would be taken from ward to ward.

“And so we will draw out a schedule, where we would now be moving from one ward to another and the devices will be taken closer to the people at the ward level. But for now, we’re still holding on to the local government and the state offices,” she said.

Sanwo-Olu donates N100m, houses to military veterans

sanwoAs part of events to mark the Year 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day celebrations, the Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has donated the sum of N100 million, four units of two-bedroom apartments in Ajara, and two pick-up utility vehicles to the State Council of the Nigerian Legion.

He also donated four cows, 500 bags of rice, and other food items to members of the Nigerian Legion as part of his administration’s commitment to the welfare of Legionnaires and families of the fallen heroes.

According to a statement by Sanwo-Olu’s Special Adviser on Media & Publicity, Gboyega Akosile, the governor announced the donations on Monday at the State Executive Council meeting during the Appeal Fund and Launching of the Year 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day Emblem at Lagos House, Ikeja.

The governor said the launching of the Emblem Appeal ahead of the January 15, 2026, commemoration of Armed Forces Remembrance Day has become a tradition that has come to stay in Nigeria, noting that he considers it a constitutional duty to remember the fallen heroes who have served the country, while some have become handicapped in the process as well.

“It is customary to accede to the yearly requests of the Nigerian Legion. We promise to continue to support the Nigerian Legion, Lagos State Council, in demonstrating our gratitude for the services rendered for the continued existence of the sovereignty of Nigeria.

“Our sovereignty as a nation exists because of these brave men and women. The Emblem Appeal is a responsibility we owe to those who laid down their lives for Nigeria and to those who returned with life-changing injuries. We must remember them in real and tangible ways.

“This is our way of saying thank you for the sacrifices that allow all of us to live in a free and united country,” he said.

Speaking earlier, the Commandant of the Lagos Council of the Nigerian Legion, Akeem Wolimoh, commended Governor Sanwo-Olu and the State Government for the support received over the years.

He noted that the support received in the past has greatly assisted the Lagos Chapter of the Nigerian Legion in alleviating the living conditions of their members, adding that some of the dependants of their members have been empowered through skill acquisition by the Ministry of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, as well as empowerment programmes from other MDAs of the Lagos State Government.

The year’s Emblem Appeal launch was attended by the Deputy Governor, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat; Secretary to the Lagos State Government, Abimbola Salu-Hundeyin; Head of Service, Bode Agoro; Chief of Staff, Tayo Ayinde; members of the State Executive Council; and officials of the Nigerian Legion.

The event was also attended by the Commander of the Air Force Base, Sam Ethnan Air Force Base, Ikeja, Air Commodore M. A. Imam; Commander of 9 Brigade, T. A. Lagbaja Cantonment, Ikeja, Brigadier-General A. O. Owolabi; Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Olohundare Jimoh; and other personnel of the Nigerian Armed Forces.