FCT workers dare Wike, shun court order to suspend strike
The Federal Capital Territory, FCT, striking unions have continued their industrial action despite a court order compelling them to resume work.
DAILY POST reports that the Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA workers under the Joint Union Action Committee, JUAC on January 19 began an indefinite strike over unresolved welfare concerns.
JUAC embarked on the industrial action to appeal for urgent action to resolve the welfare issues affecting their “morale and productivity”.
DAILY POST reports that the Nigeria Union of Teachers, NUT, and the Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees, NULGE, joined the strike on Monday in solidarity with their counterparts at the FCTA and the FCDA.
Among other things, the workers are demanding for the payment of five-month wage awards, outstanding 2023 and 2024 promotion arrears; full payment of 13 months’ hazard allowance and 22 months’ rural allowance for health workers.
Other demands include remittance of pension and National Housing Fund deductions; stoppage of intimidation of workers; improved staff welfare and working conditions.
The National Industrial Court in Abuja had on Tuesday ordered the FCTA workers to suspend the strike pending further hearing in a suit brought by the FCT authorities to stop the industrial action.
Judge Emmanuel Subilim issued the order in a ruling on an application filed by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, and the FCTA.
A court document sighted by our correspondent on Wednesday shows that the suit has Wike and FCTA as claimants, while the leaders of the striking unions, Rifkatu Iortyer and Abdullahi Umar Saleh are defendants.
The document, dated Tuesday, 27th January, 2026, and signed by the Registrar, indicated that the application before the court was for “an Order of injunction to restrain the Defendants in the manner sought on the face of the Motion paper”.
Strike continues
DAILY POST reports that despite the order of the industrial court, the FCT workers are yet to resume work.
A check by DAILY POST on Wednesday showed that most healthcare facilities and schools across the Bwari Area Council are still under lock and key.
Students at the Government Day Secondary School, Dutse Alhaji, Junior Secondary School, Ushafa and LEA Primary School, Ushafa were asked to go home as early as 8 am.
An official at the Ushafa LEA Primary school told DAILY POST on condition of anonymity that there was no memo indicating that the strike has been called off.
According to him, the court order only mandated the union leaders to resume and not the entire workers.
“The order was only for Rifkatu Iortyer and Abdullahi Umar Saleh and I believe they have resumed”, he said.
Those who declared strike have resumed – Wike’s media aide, Olayinka
When contacted by DAILY POST on Wednesday, Lere Olayinka, the Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication and New Media to the FCT Minister said those who declared the strike have resumed.
According to him, workers who are yet to resume may not have been properly informed on suspension of the strike.
He said, “The strike was not declared by the NUT. Those who declared the strike have resumed. They were in their offices today.
“If other people have not resumed, maybe they have not gotten the correct information. I’m sure that by tomorrow (today) they should be at work”.
The 2023 presidential candidate of the New Nigerian Peoples Party NNPP, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso has vowed that the Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf will not be re-elected in 2027.
A chieftain of the New Nigerian Peoples Party, NNPP, Buba Galadima, has said that the defection of Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf into the All Progressives Congress, APC, is the worst betrayal in the entire world.
The Nigerian government has announced that restoration of the national grid has commenced hours after its collapse on Tuesday, the second such incident since Friday last week.
Anambra State Governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, will on Thursday, January 29, meet with chairmen and secretaries of various markets in the state over the continued adherence to sit-at-home orders by traders, despite government directives.
Niger State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Barr Nasir Mua’zu, has clarified that the recent withdrawal of non-lawyer police prosecutors from Magistrate and Shariah Courts is simply the enforcement of existing laws, specifically the Administration of Criminal Justice Law and the Police Act 2020.
The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) has expressed concern over the recent enforcement actions by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), which it says are disrupting the operations of its members in the wines and spirits sector and threatening jobs and investments.
Senator David Umahi, Minister of Works, has declared that the people of Southeast region have no political alternative than the All Progressives Congress, APC, as the nation approaches the 2027 election.
Ambassador-designate, Reno Omokri, on Monday, said only those who are delusional would think that they can defintely at President Bola Tinubu in 2027.
Troops operating under Operation Whirl Stroke (OPWS) have shut down key border corridors between Nasarawa and Benue states that were allegedly used by bandits to infiltrate rural communities, carry out attacks, and flee across state boundaries.