A 60-year-old man, Abdullahi Ibrahim, who was among those who survived the fatal accident allegedly caused by a suspected 25-year-old driver, Temitope Olorunfemi, in Akure, the Ondo State capital, has cried out for help.
The sexagenarian suffered injuries of varying severity after being struck by the late Olorunfemi’s car on Easter Monday.
Ibrahim, who is receiving treatment at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) Owo, suffered shattered legs in the accident, and over N2 million has already been expended on his treatment.
According to the first daughter of the victim, Rukayat Ibrahim, her father, who was being treated at the facility of the FMC in Owo, is in dire need of urgent medical care but disclosed that the family does not have the financial capability.
While stating that the internal organs of her father had been badly affected due to the internal bleeding suffered from the accident, Rukayat said he had undergone a series of surgeries on the leg to stabilise his health condition.
“We are begging the state government and well-meaning philanthropists to come to our aid. We don’t have money to proceed with his treatment again. We are bankrupt as I speak with you.
“I’m begging people to help us. He has had a series of surgeries in the hospital and recently had an orthopedic surgery for his leg where he sustained internal injuries, and that is the situation we’ve been managing as of today.
On Easter Monday, Olorunfemi, who was said to have crushed some people with his car in the Ijoka axis, was mobbed to death by some irate youths.
Following his gruesome killing, the police arrested five suspects: Victor Amos, 30; Boboye Ismailia, 32; Pelumi Farotimi, 42; Nurudeen Kumuyi, 22; and Samuel Olatunji, 23. They were arraigned before a Chief Magistrates Court in Akure.