Seemberg News

Latest Nigeria Business News

Reps, Ministry of Finance disagree over N2.8 billion payment to OPEC

Share:

Image result for Reps, Ministry of Finance disagree over N2.8 billion payment to OPEC

 

 

The House of Representatives and the Ministry of Finance on Tuesday disagreed overthe procedure for the payment of the sum of N2.8billion to the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)in 2017.

 

The Ministry appeared before the Public Accounts Committee of the House in the ongoing investigative hearing on audit queries by Auditor-General of Federation on Ministries Departments and Agencies (MDAs).

 

Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Aliyu Ahmed, said the payment was made by the Minister following a memo by OPEC requesting the said amount.

 

Ahmed said the amount was released from the office of the Accountant General as payment of Nigeria’s contribution to the OPEC fund for international development in 2017.

 

Members of the Committee disagreed that the Minister could release such amount of money without recourse to the President.

 

Ahmed said payment to international organizations are not guided by the Procurement Act.

 

He said it was a routine payment and there are hundreds of international organizations, so if they had to resort to the President for every approval, it would be unmanageable and cost more.

 

He added this has been the practice over time.

 

The members vehemently opposed this saying that it had been done over time does not make it right and such payments must be approved by the President.

 

Chairman of the Committee, Hon Wole Oke, said approval from the Presidency for such sum would be apt

 

“Probably an approval from Mr President from FEC for this large sums of money would have been apt. Your submissions are apt. We know where the money is coming from and where it went to. What we are saying and for the Auditor-General to have raised it, there must have been an issue,” he said.

 

He ruled that in the future, the Ministry should obtain an memo and presidential approval before taking such amounts.

 

“For a minister to dip her hands into the Treasury for whatever purposes and take N2.8 billion is not friendly. The expenditure was a right cause. It was a responsibility that we undertook to bear. But just the procedure. Maybe a memo. It was not procedural. Until this act is amended, your Minister is still the chief procurer. What would it cost her to take a memo to FEC to get approval?” he said.

Previous Article

N69.4b debt:  Court rejects Jimoh Ibrahim’s plea to vacate AMCON’s order on seized assets

Next Article

Inflation rate hits 16.47 per cent in January …Food prices rise by 20.57 per cent

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.